Sunday, January 29, 2012

3D for Games is has a vicegrip on my soul...

Two things about this class have absolutely ruined me: character concepting and Zbrush. For those of you who don't know, those two items of business pretty much make up EVERYTHING we've done so far in the class, so this means that the course itself has absolutely ruined me. At the same time, though, it's some of the most fun I've had since coming to Ringling, so... I'm... not really sure where that leaves me. Could be awful, could be great; we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Zbrush is easy enough to describe-- an interface that was very difficult to understand, for me, anyway, and the sheer amount of creative control you get over your work is just intimidating as hell. Character concepting, however, is a bit different. You see, the reason why that's got me in a rut is that a week after mostly everyone else has finalized their characters, I'm still here building up new heroes from scratch. First we had rifle-paladin, then we went to undead-hunter in the employ of the Vatican, then a lich-hunter, and pretty much all of those were shut down in one way or another. I've finally settled, though, and it feels like a massive weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

I've decided to go with a recurring character that I've been iterating since I was in sixth grade-- a magic bard by the name of Jiece. Not only will the rigging be significantly easier than it would've been for my paladins and hunters (who all wore long coats), but I feel like I'll be much more focused and passionate when it comes to my work with him, as was pointed about by fellow GAD, Spencer Curtis. Hopefully the next few weeks turn out less work-intensive in this course; I love my work, but too much of this stuff is unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment